Back with a none brunch recipe this week. Although, if you are anything like me, you could eat this for brunch, I have an anything goes brunch approach. And this mexican quinoa is right up my street, brunch or not!
I love quinoa for its health benefits but the smell of it always put me off. I continued to keep trying it, still not sure until I tried this mexican quinoa recipe. It is a great mix of textures and flavours – I am hooked!
It contains beans, garlic, avocado and spinach leaves, all with excellent health benefits.
Mexican Quinoa Recipe
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 large spring onions chopped
- 1 chili diced
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 200g dry quinoa
- 400ml hot water
- 1 can black beans
- 1 whole corn on the cob
- 1 avocado chopped into chunks
- 1 large vine tomato chopped into chunks
- 1 handful of tortilla chips or a tortilla
- chopped coriander
- optional salsa and or yoghurt
Prep> 15 mins Cook <15
- In a non-stick pan heat the oil on a medium heat and add spring onion and chilli, gently cook for a couple of minutes. Add the quinoa, all the herbs and spices, season and stir until combined.
- Dissolve the stock cube into the hot water and pour into the pan. Cook for 15 mins or until the water has all been absorbed.
- Add the sweet corn a few minutes before the quinoa is ready and when all the water has gone add the black beans and heat everything together.
- Place the tomato and avocado in a bowl add the cooked quinoa mix and the tortilla chips.
- Add the coriander and optional extras, eat.
This is a recipe I am going to keep coming back to. So delicious and comforting but healthy, light and packed full of goodies. Try it and let me know what you think below!