Is there anything better than a chocolate birthday cake? It feels so indulgent and celebratory, it’s always my favourite cake to make for others. I love to adapt it to suit the birthday girl or boys’ taste. Adding salted caramel, pretzels or goodies to suit.
I have used this recipe for so many years I know it almost by heart. It’s made using the melting method, making it rich and moist. I recommend making it at least a day before and storing in an airtight container so it gets as moist as possible.
Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe
- 425g dark chocolate
- 225g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 100g self raising flour
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1/4 level tspbicarb of soda
- 375g caster sugar
- 4tbsp milk
- 3 large free range eggs
- 300ml double cream
- Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin. preheat the oven to 160 c/140c fan
- Break 200g chocolate into a heatproof bowl with the butter, coffee and 125g water. Stand over a pan of simmering water for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir ingredients until combined. Allow to cool.
- Sift the flours, cocoa, and bicarb together. Add the sugar and cooled chocolate mixture and stir.
- Add the eggs and milk, try not to over mix.
- Add to the lined tin and bake for 1 hr 20. I check the cake at 40 mins and then every 20 mins after that, checking the colour and inserting a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean it’s done. Leave for 10 mins then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Break the remaining chocolate into a bowl. Heat the cream and sugar in a pan on a low heat until it starts to bubble (don’t let it boil) then pour it onto the chocolate, mixing throughly.
- Allow this to cool slightly, then cut the cake in half and add a thick layer of the chocolate cream (ganache).
- Use the remaining ganache to cover the cake and decorate as you like.
Leave it in an airtight container at least one day. Stored this way it will last a few days.
To adapt this chocolate birthday cake, you could…
- Use orange chocolate instead of the dark chocolate
- Make/buy salted caramel and fill the middle generously
- Put raspberries, mini eggs, smarties, pretzels, popcorn, on top
- Fill the middle with a generous amount of peanut butter
So that’s my favourite chocolate birthday cake recipe. If you think of any more ways to adapt the cake, please share them in the comments. And if you’re looking for a different cake recipe see others here… cakes