A good ragu is adaptable and delicious. This mushroom and lentil ragu can be used in a lasagne, as a pasta sauce and as the basis of a good chilli.
It’s packed full of vegetables and has the texture and taste of a meat ragu. It is also super easy to make and freezes really well. Make a massive batch and use it many different ways and freeze the leftovers. Perfect for right now!
Mushroom and Lentil Ragu Ingredients
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 sprigs worth of rosemary leaves
- 2 sprigs worth of thyme leaves
- 500g mushrooms diced (any will do but a mix of white and chestnuts are the best)
- 1 can lentils
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml stock
- Season to taste
Prep – 20 mins Cook 40 mins
- Add the oil to a pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 mins.
- Add the garlic and herbs, continue to cook for 10 mins, adding a splash of water if it gets to dry.
- Add the mushrooms and lentils and cook for 10 mins, when the mushrooms are browned slightly add the tomatoes and stock. Season, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Leave to simmer for at least 20 mins. The longer the better.
- Now you can add it to lasagne or pasta.
I actually prefer ragu the day after as the cooling and reheating process gives it a richer flavour. I sometimes make it in advance and let it cool before I eat it. Enjoy!
See other meat free recipes here…