There is nothing more comforting for a cold than a hot cup of soup. That steaming cup of goodness makes you feel instantly cheered. It also helps that soup is a great way to pack in the needed nutrients to help fight a cold.
Broths are excellent at breaking down the cold and clearing the infection. Chicken soup in particular is excellent as it contains amino acids and has an anti inflammatory/ antioxidant effect on the body. This recipe has garlic, parsley and carrots along with other veg, which will help your body to fight back.
This soup is super easy, yes I went there, and delicious. It makes a large batch, so make it, enjoy it and freeze any leftovers for next time you need a comforting bowl.
Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 stalks of celery roughly chopped
- 1 white onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 leak trimmed and sliced
- 6 old potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- handful of tarragon
- handful of thyme
- handful of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 stock cube
- water to cover the ingredients
- Corn on the cob de cobed (or a tin of sweetcorn)
Prep>30 mins Cook>3 hrs
- Pick the deepest pan you have.
- Heat the oil in the pan and add everything except the chicken, stock cube and water. Stir and colour the veggies slightly.
- Add the chicken and water, making sure to cover all the ingredients and add the stock cube.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce to a medium heat and simmer for around 3 hours. About 20 mins before the end add the corn kernels.
- The chicken should fall off the bones easily at this point. Remove any bones, carefully checking there is none in the pan. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Optional – take a quarter of the soup and blend it. This gives more of a thick soup. Don’t do this if you want a broth or can’t be bothered!
A delicious and easy chicken soup. Not the first thing you feel like doing when you have a cold but I promise I will be so worth it. Better still get someone else to make it for you!
If you like this see other recipes here